Sunday, June 28, 2009

Trip Report – Blackwater Falls State Park + surrounding area - Part 1

Blackwater Falls State Park - Elakala Falls?


On June 20th I went down to WV for a day trip in the Monongahela National Forrest. The area was about 40ish minutes southeast of Morgantown. I had been meaning to shoot some waterfalls but I needed to wait for an overcast day so it wasn’t too bright. I needed slow shutter speeds to smooth the running water. That day was perfect because earlier in the week Pittsburgh got hit with the worst storm I had seen in my 4 years there. The storm clouds were still lingering, so I was able to achieve shutter speeds of a few seconds.


Blackwater Falls State Park - Blackwater Falls


First, this place was amazing. I could easily spend a week there. I am tempted to go rent a room in their lodge for a weekend because there are so many trails to hike on and explore. Additionally, there are several creeks feeding the Blackwater River that have undiscovered waterfalls along them.


Blackwater Falls State Park - Blackwater Falls


This park is a nature preserve, so I technically wasn’t supposed to leave the trail for most of my shots. I actually was questioned by a park ranger when he saw me emerge from the woods with my gear via a decommissioned trail. I think the shots are worth it. As a side note, I didn’t get in trouble because I explained that I was being cautious in regards to snakes (a WV specialty and something I was warned about beforehand) and didn’t get in the water anywhere. I could tell they had a problem with teenagers.


Blackwater Falls State Park - Elakala Falls?


The prettiest falls were the Elakala Falls pictured above and in the first picture. I had to veer off a trail for a few hundred yards and over slippery rocks to set up this shot at water’s edge. Because of all the rainfall in the few days before I visited, there was a lot of sediment in the water. The falls were also huge in comparison to the other pictures I saw in the park office. You can see the clay-colored sediment in most of my pictures.


Blackwater Falls State Park - Blackwater Falls


In conclusion I will say that Blackwater Falls are definitely worth visiting. I was upset that I only had a day there, but the campground and facilities looked really nice. I would definitely encourage a multi-day trip there for some car camping and hiking. I estimate that I did about 7-10 miles to see these falls. I will include my trail selection in part 2 of this report. I shot a roll of Ilford HP5 black and white film in my parent’s 27 year-old manual SLR camera alongside my digital camera to compare the results of 2006 technology and 1930’s film tech. As soon as I develop that, I will post part two.


Blackwater Falls State Park - Shay's run?

No comments:

Post a Comment