Friday, July 3, 2009

Insubordination Fest 2009

Off With Their Heads

This article is about one of the best concerts I couldn't go to. In 2007 I attended my first Insubordination Fest (IF) in Baltimore. This is basically the best pop punk festival anywhere and a great way to see all of my favorite bands in one place. The fest goes from Thursday night to Saturday night. In recent years there have been reunions of all kinds at IF and sadly has been the final show for many great bands. This years, I wasn't able to attend because I recently started a new job and couldn't get off.

For Science

2009 was a crazy year for pop punk. For Science (above) disbanded because a member went crazy. The Steinways (below)also called it quits. IF was their last show, so missing that was a major bummer.

The Steinways

Sweet Baby

Last year I got to see the crazy reunion of Sweet Baby (above). These guys are a pretty ramones-esqu band from the late 80s. They are a bit older now (sidenote: the lead singer, who is now a Ph.D, flew in from CA for the show), but they still rock pretty hard. Definitely recommended. This years headlines included Dillinger Four (D4), who I saw with the Bouncing Souls in Pittsburgh earlier this year, Teen Idols, Dear Landlord (pictured below), and Squirtgun. D4 is killer. My roommate and friends who made it down this year confirmed that they are amazing live and are really playing with their hearts.

Dear Landlord

Three of my personal favorite bands player this year too. Teenage Bottlerocket is my favorite pop punk act ever. They played Thursday, so there was no chance of me seeing them. Teenage Bottlerocket's album Total is one of the most solid records I've ever listened too. Check out the tracks: So Cool, Lost in Space, Stupid Games, and Bloodbath at Burger King. The other two bands feature lady-singers who are both intense and cute. The trio Lemuria (Sheena pictured below) has a mellower sound but is great live. Check out their myspace as they were one of my most anticipated bands for this year's fest. Lastly is The Unlovables. The lead singer is just plain cute (bonus andy-circa-2007 fanboy shot at very bottom). The music is just as nice.

Lemuria

102_4088

Pictures all from 2008 Insub Fest except last one from 2007. Picture quality isn't the best because I had just got my new camera and really had no idea how to sue it. Whatever. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment